26 June 2015 is a black day in the history of USA and the world. USA’s Supreme Court by 5-4 majority judgment destroyed democracy and upheld same sex marriages. In California people in a referendum had voted to define marriage as union of one man and one woman. In USA marriage is a state subject. Legislatures in more than 30 states had passed laws making marriage a union of one man and one woman. Judges at local level had overturned such laws and the matter had come to USA’s Supreme Court. The five judges nullified the will of the people and imposed their view as law. Judges became tyrants.
It was unimaginable till some years back that men will want to marry men and women will want to marry women and judges will overturn laws to allow such perversity. Yet it has happened. Now it is for US Congress to define marriage as a union of one man and one woman in the Constitution and have retirement age or term limit of judges and make it easy for removal and punishment of judges in case of perverse verdicts . It is good to have a term of four years for judges of Supreme Court.
Five judges who ruled in favour of same sex marriages were Anthony Kennedy, Stephen Breyer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan. Members of Congress shall impeach them.
Four judges who ruled against same sex marriages were John Roberts, Antonin Scalia, Samuel Alito, and Clarence Thomas.
Catholic bishops of USA should excommunicate Anthony Kennedy and Sonia Sotomayor for favouring same sex marriages. It is for the Jews to decide what they want to do with Stephen Breyer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and Elena Kagan.
Judicial tyranny is not restricted to USA alone. Sometimes it is euphemistically called judicial activism. In many countries judges cross their limits and encroach on the powers of executive and legislature. Judges assume powers which are not given to them in Constitution or by convention.
Evil is justified as being modern. Good is destroyed by saying it is antiquated. There is nothing modern about homosexuality. Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed because of it.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty. When judges become tyrants liberty is destroyed. Terry Schiavo lost her life because of judges.
States with heterosexual marriage legislation shall defy Supreme Court. Louisiana and Mississippi have cited legal hurdles.
Some countries have passed legislation or held referendum to make same sex marriage legal. The result of referendum in Ireland was a shock. Many times evil triumphs because good people do nothing. Those good people should now speak up and act to restore marriage to its rightful status.
Some say cricket is a religion in India. They are wrong.
Cricket is a game followed by many Indians. It is popular. That does not make it a religion.
AIR and DD promoted cricket. India did reasonably well in cricket. In other games India lagged far behind.
There is no god of cricket.
There are people with vested interests who create hypes. When it is India –Pakistan series they say it is the greatest rivalry in sport. When it is India –Australia series they say it is the greatest rivalry in sport, bigger than Ashes or India –Pakistan series.
Commerce dominates sports. Those who bid for TV rights decide the format. There is no money to be gained by participating in Asian Games, so BCCI does not send a team to Asian Games.
If the choice for a cricketer is between receiving Padma Shri or making money by shooting for an ad film for a product the cricketer chooses making money.
Some cricketers want to play in IPL but not Tests for their countries. IPL is business and entertainment.
Indians follow various sports. When it is World Cup Football many Indians watch matches even though India is not a participant. Indians follow car race, tennis tournaments and European Football leagues. There was interest in Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao welterweight category boxing match which was hyped as match of the century. Asian Games and Olympics have a following.
Some want betting to be legal. They say you cannot stop betting so make it legal. It is like saying you cannot stop rape so make it legal. CBI Director Ranjit Sinha wanted betting to be legal and he said if a woman cannot avoid rape she should lie down and enjoy it. It is a disgrace that he was not sacked. He continued till the last day of his term and retired. Making betting legal does not end fixing whether it is of match, spot, toss or session. Illegal betting thrives along with legal betting.
There has been no talk on any TV channel about how to end prostitution. On the contrary there was talk about making it legal. There is evidence that prostitution has gone up where it was made legal.
On 29/1/2014 Gloria Steinem said:
“Prostitution involves body invasion and so it is not like any other work. So how can you call it sex work? Prostitution is the only word you should use.”
“It is the equivalent of commercial rape and so instead of the prostitutes, the traffickers should be punished and the customers should be educated.”
“When a girl is put into prostitution at the age of 12 or 14, does she have a choice after all?”
“Prostitution is not a profession but oppression.”
Those who want prostitution to be legal have following arguments:
1) Legalization of prostitution is an entirely separate issue from human trafficking.
2) Even if it’s not perfect, legalizing prostitution would at least make prostitution a little bit better.
3) Prostitution is a victimless crime. Legal prostitution protects women in prostitution.
4) Women choose to enter prostitution. It’s better to choose to make lots of money as a prostitute than to choose to work at a minimum wage job like McDonald’s.
5) Prostitution is sexual liberation.
6) Men need sex therefore prostitution must exist. Prostitution is a natural form of human sexuality
7) Legalizing prostitution gets rid of its criminal elements – pimps and traffickers.
Counter-arguments are the following:
1) Women trafficking is involved in prostitution. Women are lured by promise of jobs. When they refuse to be prostitutes they are starved, beaten and gang raped. The criminals are not brought to justice. Prostitution is the destination point for trafficking. Legalization of prostitution promotes sex trafficking. Prostitution and sex trafficking are linked.
2) Legalization of prostitution increases illegal prostitution. It does not improve the lives of women in prostitution. Prostitution can’t be made “a little better.” Prostitution has gone up in Holland after it was made legal there. Those who dispute it are like ostriches who bury their heads in sand.
3) All prostitution harms those in it. Legal prostitution does not protect women in prostitution from harm. It’s not the legal status of prostitution that causes the harm, it’s the prostitution itself. Trafficking and rape will continue.
4) It is profoundly unjust to declare that prostitution is an acceptable job for some women – those who are mostly poor, mostly young.
5) Prostitution is sexual exploitation.
6) The sex of prostitution is not “sex” for women in it. Most men who use women in prostitution have other sexual partners. Many of them are married men.
7) Legalizing prostitution benefits pimps and traffickers. Pimps become businessmen. Traffickers become suppliers.
Coalition Against Trafficking in Women opposes making prostitution legal for following reasons:
1. Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution is a gift to pimps, traffickers and the sex industry.
2. Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution and the sex industry promotes sex trafficking.
3. Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution does not control the sex industry. It expands it.
4. Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution increases clandestine, hidden, illegal and street prostitution.
5. Legalization of prostitution and decriminalization of the sex Industry increases child prostitution.
6. Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution does not protect the women in prostitution.
7. Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution increases the demand for prostitution. It boosts the motivation of men to buy women for sex in a much wider and more permissible range of socially acceptable settings.
8. Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution does not promote women’s health.
9. Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution does not enhance women’s choice.
10. Women in systems of Prostitution do not want the sex industry legalized or decriminalized.
CATW favors decriminalization of the women in prostitution. No woman should be punished for her own exploitation. But States should never decriminalize pimps, buyers, procurers, brothels or other sex establishments.
Hugh Grant was punished for having sex with a prostitute. Police caught him when Divine Brown performed oral sex on him in a car. That happened on or around 28/1/1995. Hugh Grant pleaded no contest and paid a fine of $1,180. Elizabeth Hurley was his girlfriend at the time. In most countries prostitutes are punished but men who go to prostitutes are not punished.
Renuka Chowdhury had suggested that law must be changed to punish men who go to prostitutes. She did not have support of her male colleagues in the union cabinet. On 15/9/2007 the ministers were discussing Amendment to the Immoral Trafficking (Prevention) Act. The amendment was to enhance traffickers of women, portray prostitutes as victims instead of offenders and punish customers of prostitutes. Kapil Sibal opposed punishing customers of prostitutes. Anbumani Ramadoss and Mani Shankar Aiyar supported Kapil Sibal. The draft bill was sent to a group of ministers for re-examination.
Lalita Kumaramangalam, chairperson of National Commission for Women and BJP member, wants prostitution to be legal in India. What BJP has to say about it?
Some women choose to be concubines or mistresses.
Prostitution is not the oldest profession. It is hunting or agriculture.
Prostitutes have fixed place. Call girls go to clients.
Some anchors and panelists are like Birnam Wood fairies. For them fair is foul, foul is fair.
There are evil people who don’t want rapists to be punished. Whenever the question of punishing rapists comes up they say “It is patriarchy. It is society. It is mindset. It is lack of education.” and so on. They don’t say rape is a crime and rapist should be punished. They oppose death penalty for rape. They oppose castration for rape. They oppose life imprisonment for rape. They oppose 20 years imprisonment for rape.
Some evil people are anchors. Some are lawyers. Some claim to be human or women’s rights activists. While they don’t want rapists to be punished they want husbands to be punished for having sex with their wives. Marital rape is an oxymoron.
In some countries denial of holocaust is a crime. In France denial of Armenian Genocide of 1915 is a crime. India should have a law that makes it a crime to oppose death penalty for murder and such high crimes. India should have a law that makes it a crime to oppose death penalty or castration or life imprisonment or 20 years imprisonment for rape. Murder is a crime and not a human or democratic right or civil liberty. Rape is a crime and not a human or women’s or democratic right or civil liberty.
Those who talk of marital rape either don’t know what marriage is or have a perverse idea of marriage. It is strange for a woman who has defied her parents to marry a man of another religion to claim she was raped by husband.